Why should I choose e-learning/online learning for myself or my family?
Online learning has many advantages. One benefit for many students is that you can learn from the comfort of your home, bed, car, friend’s house, on vacation–anywhere with an internet connection! I’ve had students login to my classes while on the beach, even Disney!
Be more specific..how can online learning be beneficial to different people with different personalities?
- Communication: Many students are more comfortable engaging in meaningful discussions online than in a classroom. These students might have hearing or speech impairments; have social anxiety; have chronic illness or pain; or simply need more time to organize their thoughts.
- Personalized learning: Not all students learn the same way. Web-based learning allows instructors to deliver the same content using different media, like videos or simulations, personalizing learning. Online classes providing round-the-clock access to materials and lectures also let students study when they feel most focused and engaged.
- Accessibility: Online programs transcend time, geographic, and other barriers to education. This can be helpful for those who work full-time, live in remote regions, or serve/have parents who serve in the military.
- Adaptability: Learning management systems can integrate text-to-speech and other adaptive technologies support learners with physical, behavioral, and learning challenges.
- Efficiency: Studies show online students tend to achieve the same learning results in half the time as classroom-based students.
- Engagement: Online instructors can use games, social media, virtual badges, and other engaging technologies to motivate students and enhance learning.
This sounds interesting. How does it actually work?
Instructional methods, course requirements, and learning technologies can vary significantly from one instructor to the next, but the bulk use a learning management system (LMS) to deliver lectures and materials, monitor student progress, assess comprehension, and accept student work. I use Canvas. LMS providers design these platforms to accommodate a multitude of instructor needs and preferences. My courses deliver live lectures using video conferencing tools. Instructors may also incorporate simulations, games, and other engagement-boosters to enhance learning.
I use my Canvas classroom for my courses. This is a very reliable Learning Management System, is easy to navigate, and allows for learners to access things in a user-friendly, attractive way. Our interface during our live meetings is enhanced. This will not cost you anything extra. Upon enrollment, you’ll be asked to provide me with an email address so I can add your learner to my Canvas classroom.
I use my own Pro Zoom account for live meetings, so we can have an enhanced video chat experience. Pro Zoom, unlike standard Zoom, allows learners to private message me information during class if they’re hesitant to announce something in front of the group, and so much more. I’ve had great success with this method!
What technological requirements do you have?
You’ll need high-speed Internet access, a keyboard, and a computer capable of running specified online learning software (not all Chromebooks run E-Lecta, for example). It’s best to also have a webcam, microphone, printer, and either a scanner or smartphone that can be used to take photos to upload completed assignments. If you have additional questions about how to use the Internet, this may be helpful.
What is the cost?
Course fees vary. Most are $12-$15 per hour per student. While this may seem expensive, please remember I am a small business owner. I pay taxes, retain an attorney, have an assistant, pay for marketing, attend/speak at conferences to and reinvest in my business to ensure I’m able to provide the best possible education for your children. In addition, most of my courses accept no more than ten (10) students per course meeting date; small class sizes are important to me so that every student receives a quality, individualized education. I am a mom, as you probably know, and it’s important to me that your children are provided with the same high-quality education I’d expect my children to receive.
For every one (1) hour of live instruction, I spend an additional 1-2 hours preparing for future meetings, answering emails/phone calls/video chats, providing feedback to students enrolled in those courses and their parents, creating differentiated instruction for learners with differing abilities, desires, and knowledge, and more.
To help alleviate the burden of cost, I do offer a payment plan option.
How do I enroll?
To enroll, you’ll see my course catalog here. Once you have chosen the course you’d like, click on the course name. On the next page, click Register For This Course. You’ll then either register if you’re new to my classroom, or sign in with your account if we’ve worked together before. After, you’ll pay securely using Paypal.
I like the course offerings, but we need a different time/date. What should I do?
If these dates/times don’t work for you, please request an alternate here.
Is my payment secure?
Yes, you’ll pay with Paypal.
I would like to enroll in multiple courses, or I’d like to spread the course fee out over several paychecks for affordability purposes. Is there a payment plan available?
Yes! Please see it here.
I’ve enrolled, but I’m not sure where to begin. What should I do?
You’ll receive an email from me with your information for Canvas. The email comes from Canvas.Instructure.com. You’ll then set up an account and log into your courses.
I need to set up a parent/teacher conference, or tutoring session.
Parents are welcome to set up conferences with me! We use this time to check in on progress. Please use my Calendly link for this.
For tutoring, please contact me, and we will discuss my one-on-one tutoring availability. Tutoring starts at $30 per hour per student.
Do you have set office hours?
Yes. My office hours for meeting aside from classroom instruction are Monday-Friday 8:00am-9:00am and Saturday/Sunday 10:00am-12:00pm EST. If you need to meet with me outside of those hours, please contact me.
Do you have a cancellation policy?
Yes, you may view it here.
I have additional questions.
Please contact me and I’ll be happy to assist!